Saturday, September 15, 2007

First Look: Gossip Girl

I downloaded the pilot for Gossip Girl from iTunes on this rainy evening. It's an amusing romp through some sort of cross between The O.C. and 90210. They're going to need to spice up the quippyness of its dialogue a bit, but I think that could happen with Josh Schwartz at the helm. If it does, this could be a good solid WB/CW-style viewing option.

Penn Badgley (right) particularly stole the show in the pilot. He was also great on the short-lived Bedford Diaries, so it's nice to see him back. Kristen Bell's voice-overs were also excellent -- I was never a loyal Veronica Mars fan but I have seen enough episodes to appreciate why many people were. Here, the unseen Kristen adds a bit of star-appeal to the show with her commentaries as Gossip Girl herself.

I look forward to watching this one unfold. Hopefully the CW will stick with it long enough to let it find its voice (and audience).

No comments: