Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bad Medicine

I am not a huge fan of going to the doctor. And so I procrastinate and never make appointments. Same goes for the eye doctor and the dentist. Today was my day to stop procrastinating. I have decent health insurance for which I am charged every week in my paycheck and I never use it. So today was the day to make the appointments.

Step one: call doctor recommended by my mom. "It has been six years since you've been to see this doctor, so we have to treat you as a new patient. It will be 14 weeks before the intake people will call you schedule an appointment." You think I'm kidding -- or perhaps exaggerating. Nope. Not even a little. 14 weeks. Goody.

Step two: call the eye doctor as I seem to have lost my most recent pair of glasses (circa 2003, so not a huge loss other than that I don't own another pair) and I think I'm down to one spare pair of contact lenses... "She is booking for May . . . nope actually I'm seeing mid-June . . . How's mid-June?" Just peachy. I'll just squint until then.

Step three: call the dentist. Now I really hate dentists, but I figured ok, well, I'll just make the appointment now and I won't have to actually go for six months so no big deal. "I just had a cancellation. How's tomorrow at 9:20?" Super.

4 comments:

The Burger said...

You've managed to sum up all of my greatest fears in one cute little post! :-)

Sarah said...

It is ridiculous. it's like you're supposed to know when you're going to get sick so you can make an appointment 6 months in advance.

GirlTuesday said...

insult + injury = the dentist will see you now.

GirlTuesday said...

hey, maybe you should visit SoE's dentist:

http://civpro.blogs.com/stay/2008/01/chocolates-from.html