Thursday, May 24, 2007

Channelling the West Wing

Tonight Studio 60 returned to burn off the episodes that have already been filmed, despite the show's sealed fate. And a funny thing happened. The show was good. I chuckled throughout. Another funny thing happened: the show was based on the amazing chemistry of Timothy Busfield and the lovely Allison Janney. And another thing: Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry had the night off. Literally, they didn't even make an appearance. And guess what? Timothy Busfield's Cal should have been the main character of the series. The show might have survived. Or maybe I just love the West Wing's Danny so much that the Studio 60 Danny (Bradley Whitford's character) never really had a shot. Still, I kept hoping that Cal would give Allison a goldfish or something. It was that good.

Updated: TV Squad disagrees. They missed Danny and Matt. (And come to think of it, it probably would have been fun to revisit the West Wing chemistry between Bradley and Allison, too.) But that's the thing about S60: no one seems to be able to agree about what's wrong with it, so no one was able to fix it. I'll just be content to watch the last few episodes, secure in the knowledge that my TiVo is not missing anything better when it records the show in this post-sweeps abyss of a tv schedule.

3 comments:

fibby said...

Damn, I missed it. Stupid NBC will only let me download it from iTunes. Is it worth it?

I streamed the last 3 episodes of Ugly Betty instead, and now find myself unexpectedly depressed. I won't write more in case you haven't gotten caught up, but I will say that I saw huge parallels between the last episode and an episode of The West Wing. I wonder if you'll see it too...

Cameron said...

oh, all this WW nostalgia. i'm going to have dig out seasons one through four on DVD... (yeah, i own them...) and I did heart seeing more of the old gang back together again. my DVR caught it for us! yay for smart cable boxes! oh, and point of correction. CJ's last name is Cregg.

Unknown said...

it seems like there are a huge fan of the show like me and i use to download west wing free episodes to enjoy them all the time.