Monday, February 19, 2007

Studio 60 is dead. Long live Aaron Sorkin.

I was a fan of Studio 60 more than a year ago. A friend of mine's got a guy who knows a guy, so last winter I got to read the script for the pilot called Studio 7 (along with lots of other people who found the script leaked on the Internet at about the same time). I loved it. And then I heard the casting news and I was sold. Love Bradley Whitford. Love Timothy Busfield. Turns out I even love Matthew Perry--I was not much of a Friends fan, so that was as big a surprise as liking Calista Flockhart on Brothers and Sisters.

The pilot was great. As the season started, I disagreed vehemently with the naysayers who whined on the Internet about Aaron Sorkin being too self-absorbed and condescending toward his audience. And I still disagree with them. But despite moments of true West Wing-style brilliance, it turns out this show just doesn't work. Turns out a really serious show about a sketch comedy show that has no funny sketches just doesn't really work. In the show's typically self-aware style, we found out tonight that Matt's obsession with Harriet has irreparably hurt the ratings of Studio 60, which goes for both the one that airs on NBS and the one that used air, until tonight, on NBC.

To paraphrase Lorelei's heart-to-heart with Chris last week, Studio 60 was "the [show] I wanted to want." But we maybe jumped into the marriage the shark too soon. Now it's over. Here's hoping that Aaron comes up with another great set-up, writes a brilliant pilot, and knocks it out of the park on the next go 'round.

By the way, have I mentioned how good Friday Night Lights is?

1 comment:

fibby said...

Thank god I own all but one season of West Wing to give me my Sorkin fix when I need it (Season 5 is the one I don't own, by the way - it was more than awful as they scrambled with bad writing and even worse plot lines after Sorkin left) (and yes, I'll probably break down and buy it, just to have the full set).

Anyway, farewell for now, new Sorkin writing - come back soon in a show that everyone can rally around.